Can't Relocate? Earn Your Culinary Arts Diploma Online At Home
A comprehensive education from a world-class school can help you master the craft of culinary arts and find your path in the food and hospitality industry. But what if you can't commute to campus or move closer to school? The Institute of Culinary Education offers an Online Culinary Arts & Food Operations program, which allows students to take courses right from home.
Below, we’ll provide some insights into our online cooking classes and how they help students gain the holistic culinary experience –– and diploma –– they want, without sacrificing the education quality they need to reach their goals.
The Ingredients of a Well-Balanced Education
At the Institute of Culinary Education, the Online Culinary Arts & Food Operations program stems from the in-person program. This means that students have access to a well-rounded curriculum that teaches essential culinary skills, with learning done on their own time. The program's average time commitment per week is approximately 13 hours.
Some of the fundamental lessons taught in the program include:
- Introduction to knife skills and food safety
- Preparing greens and vegetables
- Sautéing, roasting, braising, and grilling techniques
- Preparing protein-based cuisine, including seafood
- Pastry and baking techniques
- International cuisine from around the globe
The online courses show students how to build confidence and competence in the kitchen and strengthen their business awareness in the food service and hospitality industry. This includes the following entrepreneurial-focused components:
- Menu design lessons explore the key components of a well-balanced menu. They also teach students how to prepare a menu of their own that balances creativity and feasibility.
- Foodservice finance lessons cover concepts that are vital to the success of a business. Students are shown how to use financial statements, make cost-driven decisions, work within budgets, and other essential skills.
- Communication and public relations lessons use blogs, social media, videos, and other outlets to train students in effective communication practices between their restaurants and the public.
- Leadership courses show students how to develop their own management styles. The courses also cover ethics, professional development, and other important concepts.
The Institute of Culinary Education's online students are provided with professional uniforms, knives, and other tools necessary to work through the program. The cost of this equipment is included in the program's tuition.
Personalized Guidance From Experienced Instructors
Live and on-demand courses are taught by experienced Chef-Instructors who deliver personalized guidance on your performance to help you develop along the way. Plus, demonstrations and workshops led by world-renowned chefs and other industry-leading experts are available. This addition helps create a well-balanced, modern curriculum that contains engaging and creative experiences. Ranked as the No. 1 culinary school in the country by USA Today in 2019, the Institute of Culinary Education is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and partners with some of the most influential names in the food industry. With a dedication to student growth and enrichment, our award-winning school provides a host of opportunities throughout the program and beyond.
Your Externship: Putting Culinary Skills Into Practice
Just like in-person students, you'll also be required to complete an externship at the end of the program. Our Career Services department helps students locate possible externship sites that best align with their career goals and also fulfill program requirements. We are there to support our students throughout this experience. During this hands-on training portion, students are evaluated by the site representative on crucial performance areas. Benefits of culinary externships include:
- Training in a real-world setting helps you gain a better understanding of an authentic work environment.
- Diverse hands-on experiences help you refine your skills.
- You're guided by seasoned professionals who can offer helpful tips and advice.
- You can use the opportunity to expand your professional network.
How to Enroll in Our Online Program
The enrollment process begins with a simple conversation with an admissions representative from the school who will learn about your career goals. They'll guide you through the admissions requirements. Additionally, financial aid and veteran benefits are available to those who qualify. Our Office of Student Financial Services can help you explore current financial aid options and scholarships.
Students also are encouraged to explore some of the extracurricular activities they can join virtually, such as panel discussions with expert chefs, professional demonstrations and other special events.
Apply for Our Online Culinary School Today
The Institute of Culinary Education has locations in New York City and Los Angeles, but our online culinary school program is currently available in select states across the country: California, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Texas, Arizona, Michigan, Ohio, Idaho, Tennessee, Virginia, Wyoming and Hawaii, and will continue to expand to additional states. Reach out to request info or apply online today!